"Because we loved you so much, we were delighted to share with you not only the gospel of God but our lives as well." ~ 1 Thessalonians 2:8
Our Madagascar Mission Team
These are the members of our team. Back Row: Chad Doing, Harv Lewis, Tim Westerberg, Hayden Rich, Isaiah Kahut, Rob Eichler, Franklin Kessler, Bret Lautt. Middle Row: Ron Borders, Gretchen Vickery, Linda Lewis, Foe Bottemiller, Kristin Borders, Laurel Bonnin, Dick Merrick, Kati Lautt. Front Row: Hunter Aarhus, Shannon Kessler, John Aarhus, Bella Lautt, Elijah Lautt.
One of the team members is keeping us up-to-date on her blog. Visit Kati Lautt's Blog
The Madagascar Partnership Origin
The seed for this partnership came from a service focused on missions in 2012 where Ronald and Shelly Miller, missionaries to Madagascar, shared the story of the Street Kids Center. Those from Hillcrest who were there began to feel God’s Spirit calling Hillcrest Church to begin a long-term partnership with the Millers. This has resulted in the first of what we hope will be many Work & Witness trips from HIllcrest to make an eternal difference in the lives of the Malagasy people.
Where Our Team Was Ministering
We partnered with our Nazarene Missionaries at the Madagascar Street Kids Center (Akany AMI4). Their mission is to promote holistic development of children and the protection of their basic rights by daily offering: nutrition (breakfast and lunch), education (preparing them for regular school), loving and caring for them through compassion and friendship while helping them to deal with the rejection by society and lack of care by their families.
Our Nazarene Missionaries in Antananarivo, Madagascar
The Millers (L-R) Rachelle, Ronald, Elijah, Malachi and Abigail are now in Antananarivo, Madagascar, heading up Nazarene Compassionate Ministries for the country, but also overseeing the growth and work of the church as Mission Coordinators in Madagascar. One ministry in particular has a huge impact, the well-organized Street Kids Center that educates and feeds 350 children every day. Learn more about our missionary family by clicking on their photo.
A Few Facts About the Island Nation of Madagascar
- At 226,640 square miles, Madagascar is the world’s fourth largest island - about the size of Texas or France.
- Madagascar has a population of 18.6 million with 44% of that being under the age of 14. The average age is 17 and the average life expectancy is 57.
- 250,000 animal species are found here, of which 70% are found nowhere else in the world.
- Half of the population lives below the poverty line and the infant mortality rate is 75 per 1000 births (compared to Australia's 5 per 1000 births).
- Hepatitis A, typhoid fever and malaria are the country's biggest health problems.
- Only 11% of the country’s roads are paved.
The Life of a 10-Year-Old Boy is Changed
Watch this video to see how the Church of the Nazarene began reaching out to the street children in Madagascar through the Nazarene Compassionate Ministries Street Kids Center (video 2011).